Monday, September 12, 2011

Potato & Green Onion Pizza

Last year I tried a pizza that changed my life.  It was a seasonal offering at Pizza Nea in Northeast Minneapolis, and it had potatoes, asparagus, and green onions on top of a olive-oil based sauce.  I was a woman in love.  In love with a pizza.  And I was not afraid to say it.  Tonight, a year later, I thought I'd see if I could replicate this pizza and add my own tasty twist.

I started with a pizza dough recipe from a blog that is no longer (which is sad because it was awesome!).  I made it the night before, and I let it rise a second time while I prepped the veggies.  The dough turned into a chewy, tasty crust.  I made mine a little thicker just because that's my preference, but you can shape it however you like!  For toppings, I opted for a swipe of olive oil, halved cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced fingerling potatoes, green onions, and goat cheese.  Topped all that yumminess with salt, pepper, and freshly cut basil.  The tomatoes were the perfect replacement for pizza sauce and the green onions were amazing -- crispy with a light onion flavor.  It was a wonderful combination of flavors and textures.  Happiness!!! 


Pizza Dough
makes enough for two medium-sized pizzas

Ingredients
1 yeast package
1 cup warm water
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbls olive oil
pinch sugar

Directions
Mix the yeast package in the cup of warm water.  Let it sit for 2-3 minutes until the yeast proofs.  It should be a little bubbly.  If not, your yeast package might be expired and you should try again!

To the yeast mixture, add the salt, olive oil, and sugar and mix together.  Add in the flour, starting with 2 1/2 cups, kneading it with your hands.  If it's still tacky, add in more flour.  Knead for about five minutes until it's a smooth dough.  Put the dough in a well-oiled bowl and put it in a warm place to rise.  Let the dough double in size, which should take about 30 minutes.

Separate the dough into two pieces and pat into two balls.  Cover with a damp towel and let rise again.  Or if you are making this ahead of time, put the two dough balls in the fridge.  The next day, take one out and put it in a bowl covered with a damp towel to rise. 

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Stretch or roll into a circle to your desired thickness.  Add toppings, bake for 15-16 minutes.  I baked mine on a stone, but you could use any regular pan. 

Potato & Green Onion Pizza


Ingredients
4 green onions, chopped into one-inch pieces at an angle
1 cup (or two handfuls) of cherry tomatoes, halved
4-5 fingerling potatoes, sliced lengthwise very thin
1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
Salt & pepper
1 tbls freshly torn basil

Directions
On the uncooked dough, sprinkle the goat cheese in an even layer.  Then add the potatoes in an even layer.  Sprinkle the tomatoes and green onions on top, and add a pinch of salt and pepper.  Brush the top with olive oil. 

Bake at 450 degrees for about 16 minutes.  Cut into slices and enjoy! 

Be creative with your pizza toppings!  I've made a pizza topped with goat cheese and roasted veggies (summer squash, tomatoes, red onion, and mushrooms), and my friend Leigh had the inspired idea of a pizza topped with goat cheese, figs, and sausage.  You could also go totally classic with pizza sauce and a bunch of cheese.  But it will be delicious because you made it yourself!

1 comment: