Monday, January 23, 2012

Lentil Fritters with Cucumber Sauce

Often times I'll decide to make something from a magazine or a cookbook but months later, I'm wondering why I have these ingredients in my cupboard.  It usually happens with new oils or vinegars and then I have to page through all of my food sources to find what it is I meant to cook.  I try really hard to menu plan, but I'm easily swayed by my food moods and all plans fly out the window.  After taking inventory of my cupboards and finding two cans of lentils, I decided that it was time to make the lentil fritters I read about months ago.  I made a few changes to the original Food Network recipe and instead of serving the fritters in pita pockets with a cabbage slaw, I paired them with a delightfully flavorful and simple cucumber yogurt sauce.  This was an easy and satisfying dish, perfect for lunch or dinner.  Or both in the same day! 



Lentil Fritters with Cucumber Sauce
adapted from Food Network Magazine
serves 4

Ingredients
for fritters
2 15-ounce cans cooked lentils
1/2 tsp cumin
1 garlic clove
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
olive oil for cooking

for sauce
1 8-ounce container (personal size) plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced
1/2-1 cup chopped cilantro
juice from half of a lemon
1/4 tsp cumin
salt & pepper to taste

Directions
In a food processor, combine one can of lentils, the garlic clove, and cumin.  Place the mixture in a bowl and add the other can of lentils, bread crumbs, cilantro, and salt & pepper.  Stir to combine. 

In a large skillet, drizzle some olive oil and heat over medium heat.  Form small patties with the lentil mixture.  When the oil has heated, place 4-5 lentil fritters into the pan and cook until a deep brown.  Flip and cook the other sides.  Continue until you've made as many fritters as you like (think 4 small fritters per person per serving).

In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the yogurt sauce.  Taste to adjust seasonings.  Serve the lentil fritters with the cucumber yogurt sauce on the side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment