Monday, July 2, 2012

Beat the Heat: Lemon Quinoa Salad with Tomato & Avocado

Looks like summer has officially begun, and man did it kick us all in the face this week.  I generally dislike heat, preferring chilly and overcast weather.  So when I saw this week's forecast, I almost started to cry.  It's impossible to do anything in this weather!  I don't like to drive because I feel like my car is going to explode; I don't want to go outside because I feel like I might explode; I don't want to cook because I feel like my kitchen is going to explode.  (I might have an irrational fear of spontaneous combustion.)  

In times like these, I stare wistfully at my kitchen as I dial the number for delivery pizza.  Although, one time last summer, the pizza place told me it would take longer than usual because the excess heat caused their ovens to start on fire.  Seriously!  Instead of risking the lives of many a pizza delivery person, try this super easy recipe for a lemon quinoa salad.  The cooking is minimal -- boiling water and cooking up your quinoa is all that is required.  The rest of the ingredients are fresh, filling, and perfect for a hot summer day.  Add some chilled wine or a cold beer, and you can easily beat the dinner heat!



Lemon Quinoa Salad with Tomato & Avocado
serves 2 as main, 3-4 as side


Ingredients
1 cup dried quinoa, rinsed
2 cups water
Juice from one lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large heirloom tomato, chopped
1 avocado, diced
1/4 cup chopped basil (use lemon basil for an extra lemony kick!)
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions
Cook the quinoa according to the package directions.  Allow to cool in the refrigerator until about room temperature.

In a small bowl, squeeze in the lemon juice.  Then using a fork to whisk continuously, add the olive oil slowly until you get the consistency of a vinaigrette.  Pour the dressing over the quinoa and mix to coat evenly.  Add the tomato, avocado, and basil.  Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to seeing this article... It's really great..... Thanks for sharing this how to make this dish....
    Tirupathi tour package from Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunrise and Sunset are the most beautiful times of the day, when the natural
    Colors cast a warm glow on the white marble and the building is stunning enough to do
    Most of the work for you. But you can also get a perfect reflection of the TAJMAHAL in
    The pool if you set your camera on the ground and line it up with the base of the
    Building. For a more unusual shot, ask your tour guide to take you to the back of TAJ,
    On the far shore of the banks of Yamuna River or the Moon light garden. Morning or
    Evening view of TAJ more beautiful
    . One must explore the changing hues of TAJ at the
    Sunrise or sunset time. Taj Wears a new look during this time .The marble symphony of
    Taj is astounding. The beauty of Taj inexpressive in words .One can feel it only while
    Seeing in on own eyes.
    One Day Taj Mahal Tour by Car | One Day Delhi Tour by Car | Same Day Jaipur Tour by Car | Same Day Agra Tour by Gatimaan Express | Same Day Agra Tour by Shatabdi Express

    Mobile: +91-9568246666
    Email: info@dreamindiavacation.com
    Website: www.dreamindiavacation.com

    ReplyDelete